Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Running a 5K

Back in December of 2011, I participated in the Reindeer Run and I had not trained AT ALL!!!!  Needless to say I was very sore the next few days.  My time for the Reindeer Run was 46:36 which came to 15 minutes per mile.  My goal for this run was to finish and not to be the last one over the finish line.  I accomplished both goals and my ranking was 123 out of 130.  Okay, not great but it was my very first 5K so I was very proud of myself.  In January a good friend of mine said she would help train me for my next 5K.  My first thought was "What, I need to run another 5K?  I just wanted to participate in one and I've done that!!!!"  Well, the more I thought about it I decided that sure it would be good for me to get in shape.  So, I started training the second week in January.   Lori said it would be good for me to run every other day so we decided to meet on Tuesday and Thursday after work and on Saturdays I would do it by myself. 
On March 17th, on my daddy's 91st birthday I ran in the Little River Run 5K.  It was such a HOT day but I had committed myself to participating in this run and I was not going to back out.  (Anyone who knows me know that at times I can be a little stubborn!)  Anyway, the race started at 5:00 p.m. at the Little River Bridge and within a few feet of running we had to run up our first hill!  Okay, by this time I'm thinking what did I get myself into!  But another friend of mine, Lesley was there with me and we stuck with each other.  Sometimes Lesley would get a little ahead of me and she would encourage me.  Other times I tried to encourage her so I think we made a great team!  We continued on up West Main and finally made it to Joe Kirby's State Farm office which was our turn around spot.  Most of this was all up hill so it was so nice to be able to turn around and go down hill for a while!  After we made it back to the Square we turned left which took us back up ANOTHER big hill on past the Post Office.  After that it was all down hill and I was so happy when I saw at the bottom of the big hill the place where we would turn to finish our race on the pathway for the Little River Park.  I crossed the finish line at 40:02 minutes!  Okay, I admit I was a little disappointed at first because I wanted to finish under 40 minutes but still I finished in the 39th place out of 89 places with 12:53 per mile! 
Now, I am thinking what race will I enter next!  Yes, I am enjoying running and so I'm sure there will be another race in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment