Saturday, April 28, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

A few years ago I decided after reading online about so many people making their own laundry detergent that I was going to attempt to make some too.  I figured if we didn't like it then I would just switch back to my regular Tide that I had been using for so many years.  I already had a plastic container that I used to keep my Tide in so I just decided to use that container.

The ingredients are:

2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
1 cup Baking Soda
1 bar of Fels Naptha Soap (I have also used Ivory soap)

I usually triple my recipe when I make it so that is why you see three bars of the soap on the table. 

First I cut the soap into cubes:
Then I put one bar at a time into my food processor (I have a small food processor so I can only do one batch at a time)     


 Next I add 2 cups of washing soda, 2 cups of borax and 1 cup of baking soda to the food processor and mix until everything is mixed together and in a powder form.
I repeat this two other times until I have tripled the recipe.   Now, when I want to wash clothes I just add 1 teaspoon of detergent to the washer while I am filling it with water and then I add the clothes.  I prefer adding the detergent into the water before I add any clothes so I can be sure that my detergent will dissolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment